background image
20th August 2018 
Further help. Bridge

Web resources and further reading....

It is important you seek the support and help of your GP in all cases but if you need to speak to someone urgently about depression or anxiety call NHS Choices 111 Service and The Samaritans can help in times of crisis to provide a listening ear. The NHS have a list of Mental Health Help Lines with contact details of various organisations able to help you or provide information.
If you are a woman suffering from domestic abuse you can contact National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.
The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is a NEW award-winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the UK. Men who are in crisis may find supportive information on this website.

For an extensive list of support agencies for mental health and wellbeing BBC In the Mind Season (click here) has an excellent list of resources.
To find Self Help support groups the following organisation has a good list of national and local groups Click for Self Help

BBC In the Mind (click here) featured a series of radio broadcasts in January and November 2016 about the experience of being in therapy. Why not listen on BBC i-player to find out if it might help you and make an initial appointment with me. Additional BBC Programmes have been transmitted in 2016 on TV covering wellbeing and mental health issues.

For general reading about Mental Health The Guardian has a general website with links to news items and resources. The Reading Agency in partnership with the Society of Chief Librarians has lists of self-help books and mood-boosting books Reading Well Books.

For local Mental Health Support in Hertfordshire - see Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, look for the "self-referral" form or speak to your GP.

For tips on having less stress NHS and Mind offer advice on healthy living and mental wellbeing. For Depression Boots the Chemist also has some useful advice. The British Association of Anger Management also have some useful resources to address anger issues.

Relate offers information concerning relationship problems. There was an interesting article in The Guardian in Jan 2017 called Seven Rules to Help You Avoid Divorce, concerning whether you do really need to split up with your partner.

For help with bereavement St Albans & District Bereavement Network offers support. For outside of the St Albans district you can contact Cruse Bereavement Care.

Young people aged 14-25 can contact Youth Talk St Albans for help and support and advice for parents is also available. Click Support for Families at Family Lives website or call 0808 800222. If you are finding difficulties interacting with your parents, either as a young person or in later life, the following website may be useful My Horrid Parent, written by a psychologist. This website also has good list of Resources (go to bottom of webpage) for young people to seek help, plus a Blog and Forum.

If you are suffering abuse, it is important to see help - or perhaps you have suffered abuse as child and are now in adult life. Support and helpful resources can be found The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC)

Or email me Sally Bunce